Home>Our District>Headlines>Uncategorized>National Family Literacy Day!
Tuesday, November 1, 2016
November 1st is recognized as National Family Literacy Day. First held in 1994, National Literacy Day is a kickoff of National Literacy Month.
There are many activities families can engage in that help children develop literacy skills that are important for a lifetime of reading and learning. Below is a link that may be of interest to you. It gives ideas of how families can incorporate reading and literacy activities into their daily lives.
Challenge your families to celebrate on Nov. 1st.
1. Read together
2. Have their child write a letter to someone (grandparent, neighbor)
3. Play a word game (Scrabble)
4. Make a list of their top 10 favorite books
5. Have their child write the grocery list
6. Come up with a new ending to a favorite book
The options are endless. Have fun celebrating literacy everyday!