Our District

Status of Negotiations with Teachers

As negotiations with the Oakridge Education Association continue, the Board and administration continue to receive inquiries from the community and employees regarding the status of negotiations. As the Board has done in the past, this public statement is an attempt to address those inquires in a legal and ethical manner.

The Oakridge Board of Education (Board) and the Oakridge Education Association (Teachers) have met to negotiate a successor collective bargaining agreement (contract) on ten occasions between June 15, 2017 and August 31, 2017. An eleventh bargaining session is scheduled mid-September.

Since it’s July 14, 2017 proposal, the Board continues to propose “step increases” to our teachers for the 2017-18 school year, despite an unexpected drop in enrollment this first week of school.  Step increases average to a 2% wage increase but varies from teacher to teacher. This would be the third year in a row that teachers would receive a wage increase because teachers received “step increases” in 2015-16 and 2016-17, with an additional 1% increase in 2016-17.  Additionally, the Board has proposed to pay, upon contract ratification, the maximum state-mandated annual “hard cap” amounts for employee medical insurance costs, as follows:  full family – $17,304.02, two-persons – $13,268.93, and single – $6,344.80.  This is 3.3% more than what the Board paid the prior school year.  All employees pay medical insurance costs above these “hard cap” amounts.  Finally, the Board has proposed raising these “hard caps” again on January 1, 2018, when the newly established plan year begins.  The State has not yet determined these “hard cap” amounts for 2018 but history has shown an average 3.3% increase in the employer’s contribution from year to year.  The Board’s current proposal is available here.

The Teachers’ current proposal includes “step increases” (avg. 2% increase) plus a 2% increase to the wage schedule totaling a 4% average wage increase plus changing the wage schedule which further increases wages for middle of career employees for 2017-18 school year.   For 2018-19, Teachers have proposed “step increases” (avg. 2% increase) plus a 1.5% increase to the wage schedule totaling a 3.5% wage increase plus maintaining the prior stated changes to the wage schedule.  For the 2019-20 school year, teachers have proposed “step increases” (avg. 2% increase), prior stated changes to the wage schedule, plus language to discuss further wage increases at that time.  The Teachers have also proposed the “hard caps” for medical insurance costs similar to the Board’s proposal.  The Teachers’ current proposal is available here.

Due to the amount of questions raised in the community about Teachers base wages compared to Administrator base wages, we have posted this information here in rank order by annual salary and by contracted hourly rate.

The Board remains committed to maintaining the District’s financial stability while paying employees a fair and competitive wage.  All of our employees are important to us.  The Board thanks our teachers, administrators, and staff for their hard work and dedication to the District and its students.  We will continue the negotiating process through each party’s chief negotiators.  We are confident we will reach a mutually acceptable agreement.

Sincerely,

  • Board President – Steve Roomsburg
  • Vice President – Craig Scott
  • Secretary – Brent Hartman
  • Treasurer – Ronda Borgman
  • Trustee – Gerry Dibble
  • Trustee – George Tindall
  • Trustee – Mike Smith Jr.
back to all Headlines